| 1797 Residents of Haldimand
Haldimand of 1878Township Facts-1878:
The township of Haldimand is bounded on the north by Alnwick, west by Hamilton, east by Cramahe. It was settled early; it was surveyed in part in 1797 and again in 1822. In 1817 there were under cultivation 6,258 acres. There were then three gristmills and four sawmills in the township. Land was valued at from ten to fifteen shillings per acre. In 1850 the population was 4,177 and in 1861, 6,164. The natives of Ireland numbering nearly one thousand, equal the added numbers of the natives of England and Scotland. There is also a good sprinkling of citizens of United States origin, Several of whose ancestors were the first settlers.
The earliest grantees of lands along the broken front were, Joseph KEELER, David M.G. ROGERS, Patrick MOORE, H. WYATT, Jas.ROGERS, George CUNNINGHAM. Moses DOOLITTLE, Joseph PHILLIPS, Elisha BERNON, Eratus DEAN, Jacob HOCHMER, Wm. LEE, Gaius DEAN, Joseph BURNS, Rona PERRING, Arthur CAREY, Peter MARTIN, Elijah KETCHUM, Jinks WAIT, Nathan MITCHELL,Bays M. EDDY, Luther HULL, Henry RUTTAN, Josh FARRINGTON, Wm. SMITH, Josh PURDY, John BLAIR, Thos HINMAN, Asa BURNHAM, Aaron GREELEY, John KELLY, On the 1st concession -- Adam FARNMOUTH, John DURY, John HARTWELL, Peter WYATT, Stephen BOWERMAN, Isaac WAIT, Saml.WILLIAMS, John BROWN, Danl. ALGIER, Rice HONEYWELL, John HOLT, Wilson REES, Wm. and John CARTER, Daniel HAIR, Abner SPENCER, John DARLING, Ferdinand GRANT, Rosewell FERGUSON.
On the 2nd & 3rd concessions -- ROGERS, LEWIS ,BAKER, PETERS, STINSON, ROBINSON, SPENCER, KELLY and others of the old families already names, obtained grants. Also, Thomas MCCORMACK, Benj EWING, Caleb COON, Gideon BOWERMAN, Jas. MCNABB, John VAUGHAN, P. EVERETT, Wm. BRADLEY, John WARRING, Asa BRENTNALL, Josiah & Daniel HONEYWELL, Ebenezer ALLAN, Elisha T. FRASER.
On the 4th concession and further north -- David and Edward BARKER, Stephen HARE, John MILLER, Isaac GARRETT, Chas. JONES, Henry JOHNSTON, Jas. & Andrew STEWART, Isaac BLAUWETT, Peter IRISH, James SMITH, Rev. John STEWART, Andrew Wilson WARFFE, Justus BARTELS, Cornelius VANLEVEREAUX, Cornelius CHATTERSON, Joshua BOOTH, Peter GRASS, Silas NICHOLS, Willit CASEY, Shad HUFF, Danl. PELLIT, David JACKSON, Jehull HAWLEY, John RYCKMAN, Matthew CROUCK, Cornelius TURNER, Owen ROBIN, and the families of OSBORNE, RIGHTMERGER, SHARP, CANNIFF, CLEMENT, BURLEY, LOCKWOOD, WALKER, HAVEN, WINNEY, Francis PRUYN, VANVOLKENBERG, HOWARD, STROPE, VANSCOTT, FORSYTH, George O'KILL, STUART, TINDALL, HARPER, CLUTE, HARTMAN, STOUGHTON, STAKER, JACKSON, BABCOCK, DALZ, GARDINER, MOORE, LAKE, LALLE, FAIRFIELD, HAWLEY.
Beyond the 9th concession lands were drawn by, Wm. COTTIER, Thos. JACKSON, Alex MCLENNAN, Jacob HESS, Isaac SNYDER, George MORDUFF, the LAKEs, MCKENZIEs, Lewis HICKS, Harman SAD, John SHARPE, BOYCE, FRALICK, VARTY.
Benjamin EWING, the ancestor of the EWING family, was one of the first settlers in the township of Haldimand. He came in, in 1798 from Vermont. The original settlement made by him on the first concession was called Benlock. He held a post in the commissariats in 18912 under commissary WILKINS of Murray and obtained a grant of 500 acres of land in Alnwick for his military services. Mr EWING had five sons. Henry the eldest, a P.L.S., and father of Charles Eldon EWING, in the customs at Cobourg, was accidentally drowned in Lake Scugog at Port Perry, in 1842, where he had been professionally engaged. Benjamin Franklin EWING, now residing at Brighton, a colonel in the volunteer militia, a highly respectable magistrate of the county of Northumberland and formerly one of the commissioners of the Court of Requests, is the second son. The latter gentleman resided for a long time in Percy, having been elected reeve of the township, and where two of his sons are at present settled as prosperous farmers. At 75 he is still hale and hearty and transacts a large amount of business. The other two sons immigrated to California. There were two daughters of the family married and respectably connected in Whitby and Oshawa -- Mrs. ARMSTRONG and Mrs. ARKLAND. Charles Eldon EWING, already mentioned, of Cobourg, still owns the old Benlock place cleared and settled by his grandfather, and is also proprietor of Grafton harbour.
The ancestor of the BRADLEY family was also from Vermont. He took up land in the 4th concession, the place being named after him, Bradley Hollow. He settled shortly after the EWINGs came to Haldimand. The family are very numerous in the neighborhood -- all engaged in agricultural pursuits, and well to do. Bays M. EDDY was another contemporary settler of Benjamin EWING. He engaged in milling and farming, and raised a large family, only one of whom is now left, residing in the old homestead -- lot 14 in the 1st concession, which is named Shelter Valley. Eliakim BARNUM, also from Vermont, settled in Haldimand at the close of the last century. He married a sister of old Benjamin EWING. At an early period of his residence he engaged in milling and distilling and accumulated a large property. As an active magistrate and colonel in the volunteer militia, as well as private gentleman of large means, he exercised a large influence in the locality. Two sons survive him, both highly respectable gentlemen -- one Smith BARNUM, ex-warden if the United Counties, and James who occupies the old homestead, about a mile west of Grafton on the Kingston road.
Charles H. VERNON, of Vernonville, a farmer, magistrate, and member of the counties' council, settled on lot number 10 in the 3rd concession at anearly date in the settlement of Haldimand. A sad event in the history of the family was the unaccountable death of his son Hamlin. The latter was a skillful physician. He was missing during the winter some fifteen years ago, all the efforts of his anxious relatives being unsuccessful in finding trace of him. On the disappearance of the winter's snow, the remains were found on the plains, being recognized by his silver watch.
John and Richard HARE, whose farm adjoins that of the BARNUMs, are sons of the old grantees of that name, a U.E.L., who secured land in Haldimand. There are two daughters of John and four sons of Richard all living in the township and in good circumstances. Richard still lives on the old homestead.
James STUART, a north of Ireland man, settled on the 5th concession in 1830, and a numerous family of sons own a large amount of landed property in the township.
Moses DOOLITTLE landed on lot number 10 in Broken concession B., before the commencement of the present century. The place to this day is known as Doolittle Point. He too came from Vermont.
Benjamin EWING married. Three sons -- Isaac [deceased], Ephriam and Elisha - both aged men now, were the issue of the marriage. Elisha, his son Samuel and a grandson carried on business at Grafton and own considerable farm property. Elisha has long resided in East Whitby, Ontario County, a respectable farmer and J.P.
John WILSON, a county Wicklow Irishman, settled in Haldimand half a century ago. The post office village of Wicklow, where he resides, two and a half miles east of Grafton, has been named after his native county. He early engaged in carriage and wagon making and still carries on the business with profitable success. Mr. WILSON has taken quite an active part in public affairs; was for some years collector of Inland Revenue, and has been superannuated. At age 77 he enjoys robust health. He is a great advocate of the Temperance cause, and a Grand Worthy Patriarch of the Sons of Temperance.
Thomas HEENAN, J.P., a Roman Catholic Irishman, began life many years ago in the township of Haldimand as a laboring man for old Mr. BARNUM. Industry, sterling honesty, and careful habits have made him a very prosperous man. He now owns over 1000 acres in the neighborhood. Thomas HEENAN, his son, is a member of the township council. There are two other sons and a daughter, all well to do and occupying respectable social positions. William GRAVELY, who has succeeded Mr. WILSON as collector of Inland Revenue, is of respectable English parentage. He is an old settler and was for a many years previous to his appointment as collector, engaged in the mercantile business.
William PATTERSON settled in Haldimand in 1822 on the 5th concession and subsequently removed to lot 2 in the 4th and lot 3 in the 5th. He came from the north of Ireland. His son Thomas is a prominent man in Grafton, owns a hotel, and is bailiff of the Division Court.
Julius RICHARDSON, residing on lot 22 in the 4th concession, is the son of a U.E.L., who settled under Govenor Simcoe's proclamation. The KELLY family were very old settlers. One of the sons Col. W.F.H. KELLY, holds a commission in the volunteer militia. It is claimed for him that he was the first white child born in the township of Haldimand, 77 years ago.
Thomas LAWLESS is the name of another old Irish settler. He came into Haldimand over fifty years ago, was long assessor of the township, built the first store in Grafton, and leaves surviving him, three sons engaged in business. Thomas BINGLEY, township clerk and clerk of the Division Court for many years, also carries on business in Grafton, and is one of the best known and most highly respected residents of Haldimand. Thomas Henderson MCAULEY, the present reeve of the township, came from Glasgow upwards of twenty years ago, and settled on lot1 18 in the 5th concession; He taught school, keeps a store at Centreton, and is a gentleman of much intelligence and large local influence, as may be guessed from his position.
Alexander MCBRIDE and his sons own upward of 700 acres on the 3rd concession, where the head of the family settled upwards of forty years ago-- hailing from Donegal in the north of Ireland. They are now enjoying the fruits of their toil and industry, with all the surroundings of comfortable homes. James THOMPSON removed from the 3rd to the 5th concession where he settled many years ago and by steady industry and hard work has secured comfortable homes for himself and his family. The MASSEYs came into Manvers at the beginning of the present century. They have comfortable holdings on the 3rd and 4th concessions and several of them reside in scattered parts of the township--all well to do.
The MACKLINs settled on lot 16 in the 8th concession over forty years ago. The two brothers, Robert and Edward have valuable farms. They are of English descent. Edward married one of the Staples of Cavan; she had three boys at one birth, for which she received the Queen's bounty of three pounds sterling. There are MACKLINs also on the 9th concession, Edward P.,Edwin, and William, sons of James MACKLIN, and cousins of the last mentioned family, all well to do people. The families of LEACH are also numerous in the same neighborhood, further north. They are Irish and settled about forty years ago.
There is quite a settlement of Aberdeen Scotsmen in the neighborhood; all thrifty and well provided. These families are; CAMPBELL, KENNEDY, SKINNER, CARUTHERS, MASON, MCKENZIE. West of the 8th concession is the ISAAC settlement. The family all owns fine farms and good stone houses and has obtained some celebrity for raising improved breeds of prize cattle. On the 8th concession towards Baltimore, on the Hamilton and Haldimand line, there is a large settlement of English farmers, originally from Cornwall, who came into the place between thirty and forty years ago. All have done well. The names include the families of; KNIGHT, BRAY, TURK, and SANDERCOCK. Directly east of the MACKLINs, on the 8th and 9th concessions, is what is known as the GRIMSHAW settlement. Mr. GRIMSHAW, a man of fortune, an English Roman Catholic, who married a sister of Rev. Father BRETTAGH of Trenton, located the place. He put up saw mills, shingle mills, asheries, a store, a tavern, and such, and was the means of settling a large Roman Catholic population in the place. There are numerous descendant of the families of MORRISON, HAGAN, DILLON, NATHAN, and FANNING. Richard CLARK, born in the township, is a descendant of the old settlers of that name. John R. CLARK, his father, took an active part in political and local matters, had been selected as the candidate of his party to contest the East Riding of Northumberland, but was suddenly cut off by death before taking the field.
William NOBLE. Son on Alex NOBLE owns 400 acres on lot 25 in the 4th concession. The NOBLEs were very early settlers and are of a respectable Irish family. Almond RICHARDSON, son of Garry RICHARDSON, on the front of the 5th concession is another of the old stock. Mr. RICHARDSON has a seat in the township council. Benjamin JACKSON on the lake shore is a very old settler. He is of English descent, He commenced life as a young lad over forty years ago, and is now an important man in the township.
James G. ROGERS, one of the first settlers in the township of Haldimand, was descended from a family noted for their attachment to the British Crown, and for services to their country. His grandfather James ROGERS, was major and commander of "The King's Rangers" in the New England States during the old French war, 1745 and continued in the service, commanding at St. Johns "the key to Canada", and other important posts until the termination of the American Revolution, when he retired from the service, gave up his property at Londonderry, Vermont, and with his family, together with most of the disbanded soldiers of his regiment, followed the British flag into Canada as U.E.Loyalists. He settled at Fredericksburg, Bay of Quinte in 1784. His son, David McGregor ROGERS, the father of the subject of the present sketch, was elected to represent the County of Prince Edward in the first Parliament of Upper Canada. In the next Parliament he was elected for Northumberland, and continues to hold the position until his death in 1825 at Grafton. James G. ROGERS was born in 1805 and succeeded his father in the homestead at Grafton, where he continued to reside until his death in November 1874. From his earliest youth he was zealous and active in which tended to the benefit of the people amongst whom he had grown up, and his peculiar amiable disposition endeared him to a very extensive circle of friends, so that few were more widely known, and none more universally respected. He held many offices of trust in the gift of the crown and the people. He commanded the Northumberland troop of Volunteer Cavalry, which was on active service during the rebellion of 1837 and 1838, between Kingston and Toronto. He married in 1830, a daughter of the Hon. Z. BURNHAM of Cobourg, by whom he had a large family, most of whom survive him.
The villages are, Grafton, Eddystone, Centreton, Vernonville, Fenella, Bowmanton, and Burnley.
Grafton Harbour was built forty-two years ago. The original incorporates were Henry RUTTAN, Benjamin EWING, R. HARE, E. BARNUM, John ARKLAND and John GROVER. The company had fallen away in 1857, when Mr. Chas. E. EWING, the present proprietor, became possessed of the stock. He is now the sole proprietor, Josiah GILLARD the wharfinger being his lessee. There are storehouses and plaster mills. About 100,00 bushels of grain per annum are exported. Grafton was originally called Haldimand post office.
Central Upper Canada (Ontario) Marriage Database 22650 Marriage Records Indexed
Central Upper Canada Baptism Database 25000 Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Marriages indexed
Upper Canada (Central Ontario) Burial Database 4500 Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist and Church of Scotland Burials indexed
Eastern Upper Canada Marriage Database 1200 Anglican, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Marriages indexed
Eastern Upper Canada Baptism Database 3000 Anglican, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Baptisms indexed
Eastern Upper Canada Burial Database
Upper Canada Land Petitions 51000 Records Indexed
Upper Canada Land Leases and Miscellaneous Petitions 10000 Records Indexed
Upper Canada (Ontario) Sundries Database
Upper Canada (Ontario) Toronto Insane Asylum Database
Upper Canada (Ontario) Kingston Insane Asylum Database
Upper Canada (Ontario) London Insane Asylum Database
Upper Canada (Ontario) Malden Insane Asylum Database
Ontario Genealogy Historical Newspaper Collection Historical Newspaper Files from various regions of Ontario
NEWSPAPER Genealogical and Historical Records - Thousands of entries
Ontario (Upper Canada) Map Collection Great site for locating your ancestors in Ontario
Ontario Genealogy Postcard Site - Great old-time landscape views
Newcastle District CRIMINAL Database
Upper Canada and Ontario CRIMINAL Database
Ontario Genealogy Database Index Site 400 000 Genealogy Records Indexed
January 2004 Join the Ontario Genealogy mail list now. Discussion group for genealogy and history of the Province of Ontario post 1867, or join the Upper Canada (Ontario) mail list now, discussion group for genealogy and history of Upper Canada prior to 1867.
Subscribe: Type subscribe in message subject and body.
Ontario Genealogy Mail List
Upper Canada Genealogy Mail List
Need HELP With Your Family Research?...
Northumberland County Genealogy and History
Victoria County Genealogy and History
Durham County Genealogy and History
Haliburton County Genealogy and History
Peterborough County History and Genealogy
Newcastle District (Upper Canada) History and Genealogy
Ontario County History and Genealogy
Upper Canada History and Genealogy
Echoes of the Past - Ontario Genealogy Home
Search the Ontario Genealogy Website