Hamilton Township



 1797 Residents List,
Contributed by: Linda Herman at

 Excerpts from "1878 Historical Atlas of Durham and Northunberland Counties of Ontario"


 Contributions: Pioneer Families


 History of Camborne and Glourourim by R.D.P. Davidson


 Early Cobourg Lookups by Chris SPENCER


 Historical Facts, 1878: Cobourg--

Cobourg, the County Town of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham is situated in the Township of Hamilton on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, in a broad level valley, having the lake in its front, and a fertile, well settled county in its back. The town was originally settled by U.E.Loyalists toward the close of the last century, at which time the site now occupied by the town of Cobourg was an almost untraversable cedar swamp. Some time in the year 1798, a Mr. Elias NICHOLSON took up his abode within the limits of the present town plot, and built a small cabin, which is believed to have been the first house erected in the neighborhood. This house has long since disappeared and it is not now possible to ascertain the precise spot where it stood. Mr. Elias JONES, on the road, which subsequently became King Street, opened the first store in 1802. A great part of this thoroughfare was then a fonderous morass and there are people still living who can remember a time when its condition was not much better. This state of things has, however, long since passed away and for many years visitors to Cobourg have justly commended its dry clean well paved streets and the cozy air of comfort which seems to pervade its private residences. In the early years of its history the place was called Amherst, after Jeffrey, Lord AMHERST, one of the commanders of the British army in America during the French war. The name of the village was subsequently changed to Hamilton, after the township in which it was situated. The more homely name of Hardscrabble was colloquially applied to it for many years -- owing it is said to the difficulty experienced by the settlers in gaining a livelihood. This name does not seem ever to have been sanctioned by authority, and in course of time ceased to be used. The place has been known by its present name for nearly half a century. In 1837, the year of the rebellion, the village was incorporated under a Board of Police, by which its municipal affairs were managed during the succeeding thirteen years. In the month of January 1850, the place was incorporated as a town; whereupon the management of its municipal affairs was transferred from the Board of Police to a Mayor and a Board of Councilmen, and its government has ever since been thus administered. In 1859, Cobourg, like Port Hope, withdrew from the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, and has ever since paid an annual sum to the County Treasury on account of the administration of justice.

Thirty or forty years ago, Cobourg was relatively a place of considerable importance. This arose largely from the earlier settlement within its confines, and in its immediate neighborhood, of a large number of intelligent and educated persons. The late Hon. George BOULTON at an early period practiced the legal profession here and in his office were to be found students who subsequently became known to fame -- Chief Justice DRAPER and Sir. Jon A. MACDONALD being of the number. It is still a matter of congratulations to the inhabitants that the Hon. Chief Justice MOSS and Hon. Mr. Justice J.D. ARMOUR were both Coboug boys. The present(1878) Judge of the County Court of the County of York, Judge MCKENZIE, was for many years a resident in their midst. The late James BETHUNE, Robert HENRY, Col. COVERT, the Hon. Zaccheus BURNHAM [County Judge of Ontario County], the Hon Henry RUTTAN, are still remembered by old residents as men who did their full share to promote the interests of the district. A few years ago the Senate had three of its members resident of Cobourg: the Hon. George BOULTON, the Hon. Asa BURNHAM, and the Hon. E. PERRY. The late Hon. Andrew JEFFREY whose sterling uprightness of character made him a man of mark, was long associated with Cobourg. The first mayor of the town was William WELLER, the well-known stage proprietor, who in his day was an enterprising and energetic citizen. Cobourg was indebted to the efforts of such men for its early progress. And though difficulties connected with the inception of its railway projects plunged it for years into financial trouble, these have been happily surmounted; and if prosperity should again visit the lumbering and mining interests of the country, few towns are in a better position to take advantage of them.

Cobourg can boast of a number of fine buildings, several of which are of specially imposing appearance. The most conspicuous of these is the Town Hall--called Victoria Hall -- the foundation of which was laid on Thursday, 18th December 1856. The building was completed and opened with appropriate ceremonies during the visit of the Prince of Wales to Canada in 1860. It is an immense white brick structure, fronted with Cleveland cut stone, and the cost of its erection was about $100,000. It contains a commodious courtroom and a large public hall, with seating accommodations for nearly a thousand people. Most of the municipal offices are situated in this building, which is centrally located on King Street, the principal thoroughfare of the town. The University of Victoria College is the most important educational establishment in Cobourg, and the principal seat of learning of the Wesleyan Methodist body in the Dominion.

Cobourg is the southern terminus of the Cobourg, Peterborough and Marmora Railway, and it is also an important station on the Grand Trunk. It is a port of entry. Lately some $80,000 was expended on the harbor--the greater part a Government grant, and it is stated that it will take $80,000 more to make the harbor what it ought to be. The direction of affairs is placed in the hands of the Commissioners of the Cobourg Town Trust. These are, Peter MCCALLUM, Thomas DUMBLE, W. GRAVELY, Andrew HUSTON, and D.E. BOULTON, and the Mayor of the town for the time being. The revenue during the three years has fallen from $10,000 to $6,000. During the opening of navigation a regular line of steamers plies between here and Charlotte [the port of Rochester], on the opposite side of the lake. The steamers of the Royal Mail Line also call here on their way up and down.

The streets are broad and clean and are generally laid out at right angles with each other. They have been lighted with gas for more than twenty years. The town plot covers and area of 3,500 acres. Its present population is about 5,000. Of late, Cobourg has begun to come somewhat into vogue as a summer resort for tourists and pleasure-seekers generally. The reason for this, apart from the pleasant situation of the town and the delightful drives in its neighborhood, is to be found in the excellence of its hotel accommodations. In this respect the place is singularly favored, its principal hotel being incomparably the best to be found between Toronto and Montreal. The principal industrial establishments of the town consist of woolen mills, car shops, a matting factory, foundries, machine shops, knitting factory and breweries. A considerable quantity of iron ore, pine lumber and grain is annually exported.

 Early Settlers:

Amongst the earliest grantees of lands in the broken front of Hamilton township and along the lake shore, were-- Liberty WHITE, Thos. FLEMING, Jos. PURDY, John BENSON, Richard BENSON, Asahel JEROME, Ronner PEVNEY, Geo. ASH Sr. and George ASH Jr., Stanborough STANCHCLIFF, Jas. MCCOLL, Elind NICKERSON, Nathanial HERRIMAN, Nathan WILLIAMS, Elias JONES, John EASTMAN, James E. SMALL, George CHISHOLM, Abner STEVENS, George WOOLCOTT, Samuel ASH, John VAUGHN, Zaccheus BURNHAM, David HAMLIN, Chas.SHAW, John BURLEY, Asa BURNHAM, John TAYLOR, Christopher HAGERMAN, and Josh. HARRIS.

On the 1st concession there were, Saml. PARKER, Wm. MCKEAGE, Elijah KETCHUM, John WALLIS, Eli HULL, Danl. TUBBS, Moses MARTIN, Danl. MCKELLYES, Aaron GREELEY, Christian WHITNEY, Robert MCDOWELL, Joshua SMADES, David KERR, Humphrey GIFFORD, Saml. GIFFORD, and Abner HAGERMAN.

On the 2nd concession and further back, commencing at the 2nd--Andrew JOHNSON, Caleb PURDY, John WILSON, Chas. J. PETERS, Walter WILSON, Martin RUSH, John MCCARTY, Robert SHERIFF, Chas. SHAW, Jas. FISHER, harden ELSWORTH, Noah DEAN, Danl. HAZE, Nathaniel HAWBENBECK, Asa CALLENDER, Paul HEYWARD, Thomas GOHEEN, Alex. FISHER, Peter MAYBEE, Richard WILKINSON, Lydia BAKER [afterwards FERRIS], John MONEYEAN, Henry RIDNER, Richard WILKINSON, Thos. SCHOFIELD, Widow ANDERSON, Timothy THOMPSON, John CARSCALLEN, Levi BARNUM, Joel CULVER, David FERRIS, Benj. DEAN, John VANATTO, Wm. GRIFFIN, George CROOKSHANK, Danl. K. SERVOS, Jeremiah BRITTON, Miles MCDONALD, Joshua HICKS, Boltus HARRIS, Philip REDDICK, Barret DYER, Marin DRADER, Garrett DINGMAN, Elizabeth DEVOE, David DULMAGE, Susannah DAWSON, Michael KIFLER, Jane O'NEILL, Wm. SHEPPARD, David WILLIAMS, Mrs. DANFORTH, Nancy ROGERS, Saml. FARRINGTON, Catherine EDWARDS, Myndert HARRIS jr., Samuel SHERWOOD, Alex. DUFF, Jas. GRANT, Geo. LEITH, Wm. RANSEER, John SHARP, C. BOUCHETTE, John MOORE, John MCLAUGHLIN, George STORING, John MCDOUGALL, Guy Carleton WOOD, and George CROOKSHANK.

 The families of Col. BOLTON, RUTTAN, PERRY, BOSWELL, CHATTERTON, MCCALLUM, and DUMBLE, were early settlers. Elijah BUCK was one of the settlers on the present site of Cobourg in 1808. He made the first wagon that was ever run through the township of Hamilton. Indeed, at one time, it is alleged, the old place went by the name of Buckville. The present Mr. Roe BUCK is the well-known representative of the family. His sister married Dr. PRINGLE, father of the present proprietor of the "Arlington". The history of Cobourg necessarily embraces that of the township of Hamilton and many of the names of the old settlers of the township are more or less nearly or remotely identified with those of the town, already given. They cannot conveniently be separated.

 Early Hamilton Township Settlers:

Christopher HAGERMAN, a descendant of the first settler of that name, still farms on the front road. John G. HAGERMAN of Hamilton was warden of the United Counties for 1868. There are numerous descendants of Josiah WHITE,already mentioned as Liberty WHITE.

George PERRY, collector of customs at Cobourg, is the only son of Hon. Ebenezer PERRY now left in the district. The MCKEAGE family was from Vermont; one of them still resides on the 3rd concession. The MCKAYs are to be found three mile north of Cobourg. The GIFFORDs reside on the front road, farming between Cobourg and Port Hope. John MCCARTHY, one of the best known old settlers, died in December, 1877 at the age of 90.

Joel CULVER died not long since--his son is governor of the county gaol. The families of GOHEEN and MAYBEE have descendants north of the gravel road. Jeremiah BRITTON, now of Lindsay, came to Hamilton Tp. from the WALTONs in Port Hope. There are several representatives of the old BATES family.

The MCALLISTERs from the north of Ireland were early settlers. Mr. D. MCALLISTER, who was born in the township, publishes the Cobourg Sentinel. Peter MCCALLUM is one of the very old settlers, and is one of the commissioners of the Cobourg Town Trust. Ephriam POWELL is another of the old settlers, and of later prominent well-known gentlemen connected with the town and township there are the families of , DUMBLE, KERR, R.D CHATTERTON, deputy-clerk of the crown; James King CAMERON, who came from Scotland in 1833, with ROBINSON of Inches, and shortly afterwards married Miss DEAN, then the belle of Toronto. Mr. CAMERON, some years ago, fell heir to property in Scotland and assumed the name of CAMERON-KING.

 The story is told of the late Sheriff Henry RUTTAN, that when a child, he met with an accident which turned the current of his life from one of comparative obscurity to notoriety. Having gone out with his brother one spring morning to tap for sugar making, two of Henry's fingers were severed from his hand by an accidental stroke of the sharp axe. The loss led his father to send him to school, as he could not perform manual labor. With the education thus received he was apprenticed to a merchant [John KIRBY] in Kingston. Through industry and talent he was advanced to be a partner, and was entrusted to open a store near Grafton. In 1812 he distinguished himself as a soldier; afterwards as a Member of Parliament and Speaker of the House. Next as Sheriff, and previous to his death, his name was associated with the inventions for ventilating and building railway cars. The Cobourg and Peterborough Railway was opened to Rice Lake in 1854. As in known, the trestle bridge, through the action of the ice, repeatedly gave way and after a short time, trains were stopped running by the Government inspector. The Marmora Iron Company have since bought out the road, and keep it open during a few months in summer in connection with a steamer on Rice Lake. The names of Mr. John FOWLER and Mr. COVERT will be remembered in connection with this road, as well as with the Millbrook Branch.


 Contributions: Pioneer Families


  Central Upper Canada (Ontario) Marriage Database 22650 Marriage Records Indexed 

  Central Upper Canada Baptism Database 25000 Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Marriages indexed

Upper Canada (Central Ontario) Burial Database 4500 Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist and Church of Scotland Burials indexed


  Eastern Upper Canada Marriage Database 1200 Anglican, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Marriages indexed

  Eastern Upper Canada Baptism Database 3000 Anglican, Roman Catholic and Church of Scotland Baptisms indexed

  Eastern Upper Canada Burial Database


Upper Canada Land Petitions 51000 Records Indexed

  Upper Canada Land Leases and Miscellaneous Petitions 10000 Records Indexed 

Upper Canada (Ontario) Sundries Database 


  Upper Canada (Ontario) Toronto Insane Asylum Database

  Upper Canada (Ontario) Kingston Insane Asylum Database

  Upper Canada (Ontario) London Insane Asylum Database 

  Upper Canada (Ontario) Malden Insane Asylum Database


  Ontario Genealogy Historical Newspaper Collection  Historical Newspaper Files from various regions of Ontario 

NEWSPAPER Genealogical and Historical Records - Thousands of entries


  Ontario (Upper Canada) Map Collection  Great site for locating your ancestors in Ontario

Ontario Genealogy Postcard Site - Great old-time landscape views


Newcastle District CRIMINAL Database

  Upper Canada and Ontario CRIMINAL Database 


Ontario Genealogy Database Index Site 400 000 Genealogy Records Indexed


  January 2004 Join the Ontario Genealogy mail list now. Discussion group for genealogy and history of the Province of Ontario post 1867, or join the Upper Canada (Ontario) mail list now, discussion group for genealogy and history of Upper Canada prior to 1867.

Subscribe: Type subscribe in message subject and body.

Ontario Genealogy Mail List

Upper Canada Genealogy Mail List


Need HELP With Your Family Research?...


Northumberland County Genealogy and History

Victoria County Genealogy and History

Durham County Genealogy and History

Haliburton County Genealogy and History

Peterborough County History and Genealogy

Newcastle District (Upper Canada) History and Genealogy

Ontario County History and Genealogy

Upper Canada History and Genealogy

Echoes of the Past - Ontario Genealogy Home


Search the Ontario Genealogy Website


Email: